Sarah Shackelford, Advocacy Chair
With everyone now back in school and beginning to set the tone for the year to come, it is time to remember that the best advocacy starts with US, right inside our very own classrooms! Being pro-active NOW will often save problems for our programs later. Here is a link to an article I wrote last year with some timeless tips:
I have updated the advocacy wiki page (http://madameshackelford.wikispaces.com/Advocacy+for+World+Languages ) with:
- links to a number of good, new articles
- some interesting infographics and advocacy/language related Pinterest boards
- the latest news about and from JNCL
- the new 2012 ACTFL proficiency guidelines and the 21st century skills map
- a downloadable copy of a letter written by Martha Pero, OFLA’s Chair of Professional Development, to give to administrators in order to encourage their support for your attendance at the 2013 OFLA – hosted Central States Conference in Columbus (March 14-16).
As you scroll down the page you will also find some advocacy videos, a link to the Toni Theisen 2012 OFLA tech workshop wiki (lots of neat resources there!) and a link to my wiki page containing language specific advocacy for a number of languages. It is well worth your time to look over the available resources and news!
The Central States Conference Preview for the OFLA hosted 2013 conference in Columbus, Ohio (March 14-16) is online at http://www.csctfl.org/! Take a preliminary look at the hotel, the fabulous sessions and workshops to be offered, and much more! Graduate credit from Ashland University will be available for teachers both in and out of state.
Networking with other teachers from seventeen different states is an eye opening, broadening and rewarding experience. My own professional life was enhanced and jumpstarted after attending my first Central States Conference. The people I met and the resources and ideas acquired cannot be given enough credit in words for what they have meant (and continue to mean) to me. In addition, a broadly based professional network is definitely a plus for advocacy given the constant exchange of news, ideas and support. I highly encourage you to plan NOW for attending the (OFLA hosted) Central States Conference in Columbus, this coming March 14-16!
Good luck and best wishes to all for a fantastic, successful new school year!