DEADLINE APPROACHING FOR THE OFLA TEACHER OF THE YEAR APPLICATIONS
Cheryl Johnson, OFLA President-Elect
Instructional Technologist for the Dept. of Modern Languages, Denison University
The February 21st deadline, extended from February 15th, for submitting your portfolio items for consideration as our OFLA Teacher of the Year is fast approaching! In order to submit the required documents, please email email@example.com. Upon receiving your email, you will receive instructions explaining where to submit your materials. See the list of required documents below.
Requirements and Due Dates
Portfolio: Step 1
The following should be submitted by February 15, 2020. If the following portions of the TOY portfolio are not submitted by this date, the candidate will not be considered.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume of no more than five (5) pages.
- An unedited video of the candidate teaching of a minimum of 15 minutes but not to
exceed 20 minutes. (If you are not able to easily capture just 15 to 20 minutes, just film the entire class session and tell us the minute and second that the committee should begin and end watching your preferred segment.)
- Samples of Student Work (two individual samples, one page and one-sided only) that reflect the goals of the State and National Standards for Learning Languages. Samples can be paper or digital format and all personal identifying information should be removed.
- Completed Commitment form (https://www.actfl.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/public/CommitmentForm2009.pdf), which is a statement of willingness to participate in all required activities associated with the award including:
A. A commitment to attend the ACTFL Annual Convention (hotel, registration, and
transportation are paid by ACTFL); and if selected as the regional winner,
B. Willingness to serve as a spokesperson for the profession, based on availability
Interview: Step 2
An interview with the 2021 Teacher of the Year Committee to take place during the 2020 OFLA Conference.
Portfolio: Step 3
The following should be submitted by April 18, 2020. If the remaining portions of the TOY portfolio are not submitted by this date, the candidate will not be considered regardless of submission of the first series of the portfolio.
- Five-hundred-word personal statement on the value of learning languages and developing cultural competence for all learners.
- One-page letter of recommendation from a supervisor
- One-page letter of recommendation from a current student
- One-page letter of recommendation from a current or former parent or student
I look forward to hearing from you!